This pie is as delicious as it looks. We are grateful to Grey Ghost Bakery for creating and sharing this recipe with everyone. Once you make it for guests, be prepared for them to ask for Mint Julep Icebox Pie at every dinner event!
Ingredients - Mint Julep Simple Syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-3 large sprigs of fresh mint
- Approx 1/2 cup bourbon
To make the mint simple syrup, place water and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Turn off heat and add sprigs of mint to the sugar water. Cover and let steep for about 10-15 minutes. Remove mint and discard. Let cool.
When simple syrup is cool, place in a measuring cup and add enough bourbon to make 1 1/2 cups of syrup. Stir to combine.
Ingredients - Pie Crust
- 2 cups Grey Ghost Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Crush the cookies by pulsing them in a food processor until crumbly. Preheat the oven to 400-degrees. Stir the cookie crumbs and butter together in a small bowl. Press cookies into the bottom and sides of a 9" pie plate. Bake crust in the preheated oven until firm and brown, about 10-minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
Ingredients - Mint Meringue
- 1 1/2 cups of mint bourbon simple syrup
- 3 egg whites
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 3-5 drops of green food coloring
- 1 cup chocolate chips, plus additional for garnish
- 6-8 Grey Ghost Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies, halved
- Fresh mint sprigs
- Place egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until stiff peaks form
- Meanwhile, place simple syrup back in a saucepan and bring to a bowl. Boil until temperature reaches around 210-degrees F and the syrup is reduced to approx 1 cup
- While mixer is running, slowly pour syrup into egg whites. Continue beating until whites are fluffy and bowl is no longer warm, about 7-10 minutes
- In another bowl, beat heavy cream with the food coloring until medium peaks form
- Gently fold cream into meringue in thirds until well combined and no streaks are visible. Fold in 1 cup of chocolate chips
- Scoop meringue on top of cooled pie crust, and push cookie halves around the edge of the pie. Sprinkle top with chocolate chips. Freeze pie at least 2 hours and up to overnight
To serve, garnish with fresh mint.
Recipe and Photo reprinted with the permission of Grey Ghost Bakery