Honey Sweetened Chicken Posted on 5 Aug 12:27 , 0 comments
- 1/4 cup organic Spanish olive oil
- 2 pounds organic free range beef, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large organic red onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves organic garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 1 tablespoon pasilla chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 bottle dark beer
- 5 cups homemade chicken stock or canned low-sodium or water
- 1 (16-ounce) can organic chopped tomatoes, drained and pureed
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper puree
- 1 tablespoon honey (We recommend our Gallberry Honey as it stands up well in cooking.)
- 2 cups cooked or canned organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh organic lime juice
- Heat oil in a large cast iron pan over high heat.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and saute until browned on all sides.
- Transfer the meat to a plate and remove all but 3 tablespoons of the fat from the pan.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the ancho powder, pasilla powder, and cumin and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the beer and cook until completely reduced.
- Return the beef to the pot, add the chicken stock, tomatoes, chipotle puree, and honey, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium, cover the pan, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the beans and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the lime juice, and adjust seasonings.
We suggest you serve the chili with lime wedges, chopped cilantro, sour cream, diced avocado, and chopped onions.