Maple Rhubarb Sling Posted on 8 Aug 15:06 , 0 comments
This is one of the exceptionally creative recipes developed and published by Laura Sorkin. It is a seasonal drink that contains one of her favorite compliments to maple syrup: rhubarb. According to Laura, where rhubarb is sour and acidic, maple is mellow and sweet. When you combine them they bring out the best in each other.
Once you make the rhubarb juice you can use it in any kind of drink. Combine it with seltzer or add it to lemonade. It is an early summer treat that will bring some life back to the taste buds after a long winter of comfort food. If you have a juicer then go ahead and separate out the pulp but if you don’t, leave it in as it nearly dissolves to liquid anyway.
- 6 – 8 stalks rhubarb
- 1/3 cup Runamok Maple Sugarmaker’s Cut Maple Syrup
- ¼ fresh lemon, juiced
- 1 oz gin
- Wash and chop the rhubarb and put it in a pot
- Add the maple syrup and turn the stove to medium heat
- Simmer the rhubarb until it breaks down to pulp, stirring occasionally and adding a few tablespoons of water if it gets too thick
- When it has softened completely to liquid, turn off the heat and let cool
- Use 3 ounces of the rhubarb juice with all of the remaining ingredients and pour over ice
Recipe and photo reprinted with the permission of Laura Sorkin and Runamok Maple