Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Scallops Posted on 7 Aug 17:48 , 0 comments
This recipe was created by Chef Belinda, using one of her hottest selling spice blends...Turkish Coffee Spice Blend. This recipe has a depth of flavor beyond any other recipe of its kind. This is the perfect recipe for a crisp fall day or a deliciously rich-tasting dinner on a cold winter night.
- 1 butternut squash (about 3-4 pounds)
- olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, cut in half and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 3-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Turkish Coffee Spice Blend
- 2 tablespoons madeira, or sherry
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Chef Belinda's Grains of Paradise
- Large croutons/crostini
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish with vegetable spray. Cut squash in half lengthwise; and place, cut side down, in prepared baking dish. Baked until squash is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Cook onions in olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat, stirring until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional 3 minutes. Add stock, cardamom and madeira and simmer uncovered, about 15 minutes.
- Using a large spoon, scrape half squash into food blender; discard peel. Add half of stock and puree until smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer to a clean pot and keep warm and covered. Repeat with second half of squash and stock. Bring to a simmer and season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle scallops with grains of paradise and chill for 30 minutes. Heat oil in a skillet over moderately high heat until hot; then sauté scallops until just cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel.
- Spoon warm soup into bowls. Add a crouton and cover with a scallop.
Recipe and photo reprinted with the permission of Chef Belinda