We love shortbread. It's not too sweet but has deeply satisfying cookie crunch and deliciousness. This shortbread recipe, created by Sweet Things by Lizzie, was developed for Valentine's Day. But heart cookies can be shared to express love and support for many occasions. Sometimes a friend needs a pick-me-up because life throws a curve-ball. If hearts aren't for you, choose your favorite cookie cutter shape and bake away! Lizzie dusts these shortbread cookies with the exceptional organic flavored sugars from Allstar Organics, sold on Foodlyn. These organic sugars are created in California from hand-pressed ingredients grown on the farm. They are beautiful and give subtle sweetness to the cookies. We think delivering a gift of baked shortbread cookies along with a jar or two of Allstar Organics sugars make a spectacularly thoughtful gift!
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- In an electric mixer, beat butter and vanilla until smooth. Add powdered sugar and mix until just blended
- Add flour a bit at a time and mix until the mixture forms a ball
- Roll out the dough onto a very lightly floured surface. Remember that you don’t want too much flour in these cookies or they will seem dry. Roll the dough about 1/2 inch thick and cut into shapes using your favorite cookie cutters
- Place the cookies about 1/2 inch apart on 2 parchment or silpat lined cookie sheets
- Dust with your favorite flavored sugar
- Bake for 7 minutes and rotate the pans in the oven. Bake for another 5 minutes and check for doneness. You don’t want these cookies to brown, but turn slightly golden around the edges. If they bake too long, they will be dry, so keep a close eye on them
- Remove the cookies to a baking rack after they are cool enough to handle
- Melt the white chocolate and when it is slightly cooled, place in a pastry bag with a small round tip for piping. If you don’t have pastries bags and tips, you can use a Ziplock-type bag and cut a very small tip of a corner and use that for piping. Pipe the chocolate on the cooled cookies
Store the cookies in an air-tight container when the chocolate has completely set
Makes 12-16 heart-shaped cookies (depending on the size of the cookie cutter used).
Prep time: 30 minutes Bake time: 12-14 minutes
Recipe and photo reprinted with the permission of Sweet Things by Lizzie