Bird's Eye Chili Veg and Lentil Braise
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- ½ cup tamari soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons Blank Slate Kitchen Bird’s Eye Chili Rich Simple Syrup
- 1 cup French green lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup carrots
- ¼ cup celery
- ¼ cup onion
- ¼ cup red bell pepper
- 2 cloves pressed garlic
- Salt, pepper, red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cup fennel bulb
- 1 cup fava beans or edamame
- ½ cup onion
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup stock
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Reserved braising liquid
- ½ cup pineapple
- 2 tablespoons Blank Slate Kitchen Bird’s Eye Chili Rich Simple Syrup
- 1 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons grated ginger
- 1 clove pressed garlic
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ¼ cup tamari soy sauce
1. Heat a stockpot over medium heat, add olive oil.
2. Dice all the vegetables equally, add to pot.
3. Sauté vegetables for a few minutes until they soften.
4. Add garlic and ginger, mix with veg for 1 minute.
5. Stir in the tamari, vinegar, and simple syrup.
6. Add the lentils, 3 cups of water, salt and pepper to taste.
7. Bring pot to a boil, turn down heat.
8. Simmer 20 – 25 minutes until tender.
1. Heat a wide pan over medium heat, add olive oil.
2. Dice onion, slice fennel. Add onion to pan, sauté till soft.
3. Add wine and cook down for 1 – 2 minutes.
4. Mix in fennel and beans.
5. Add stock, water, vinegar, salt and pepper.
6. Bring pan to a boil, turn down heat and cover with a lid.
7. Simmer 20 – 25 minutes until vegetables are tender.
8. Remove veg from pan, set aside. Reserve liquid in pan.
1. Add pineapple, simple syrup, vinegar, ginger and garlic to the reserved braising liquid in pan.
2. Raise heat to medium high, add some or all of the tamari and/or water to thin out sauce as needed.
3. Simmer for a few minutes to thicken, add sesame oil.
Serve: Portion an equal serving of vegetables and lentils, pour sauce over top.
Optional Garnish: Fresh pineapple, mint, cilantro, hot sauce
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Photo and recipe reprinted with the permission of Alex Sorenson