Cast Iron Skillet Chicken
First, cast iron cooking is the best! And this recipe created by Chef Belinda is another reason on the long list of reasons to love your cast iron pan. Once you try Chef Belinda Everyday Spice Blend on this chicken recipe, you'll use it for everything!
- 1 broiler/fryer, 3-5 pounds
- Chef Belinda Everyday Spice Blend
- 1/2 onion, cut in half
- 1/2 lemon, cut in half
- 5-6 cloves garlic, peeled and whole
- 6-7 fresh oregano sprigs (or your favorite herbs)
- Olive oil
- Put a cast iron skillet into the oven and heat oven to 500F.
- Wash chicken, pat dry, and season inside and out. Insert onions, lemon, garlic and herbs into cavity of chicken. Rub all over with olive oil. Truss legs and fold wings under chicken.
- Remove hot skillet from oven and transfer the chicken to the skillet. Return the skillet to the oven and cook 15 minutes. Lower heat to 350F and cook an additional 40-45 minutes, or until temperature on an instant-read thermometer reaches 165 degrees. If chicken is browning too fast, loosely tent with foil.
- Remove skillet from oven and transfer chicken to a cutting board. Let rest 15 minutes before cutting.
Recipe and photo reprinted with the permission of Chef Belinda