This recipe comes from Katherine Frankstone, owner of the spectacular Grey Ghost Bakery. Katherine explains that she worked for a pastry chef in Pawleys Island after college graduation. He was a classically trained German pastry chef and he made all kinds of fancy pastries. But her favorite dessert was a killer Black Forest Cake that was divine. And even now, her favorite ice cream is Cherry Garcia from Ben and Jerry's. Using these favorites flavors as inspiration, she layered her Grey Ghost Bakery Chocolate Espresso Cookies with Sour Cherry Jam and real whipped cream for this simple, yet addictive, Cherry Chocolate Cookie Icebox Cake.
A comment from your friends at Foodlyn...stock up on extra cookies. Our testers had to plan to make it on a second day, because on the original planned date they began sneaking a cookie here and there and suddenly the cookies were all gone!
Ingredients - Icebox Cake
- 1 8-ounce bag Grey Ghost Bakery Chocolate Espresso Cookies
- Whipped cream - recipe below
- 6 ounces Sour Cherry Jam (Katherine uses Stonewall Kitchen)
- Milk chocolate curls, for garnish (optional)
Preparation - Icebox Cake
- Line a sheet pan with parchment or wax paper
- Make cookie sandwiches, working two cookies at a time. Spread one cookie with cherry jam. Add a spoonful of the whipped cream and top with another cookie
- Turn the cookie sandwiches upright and line up 3 per row, forming 2 rows
- Spread whipped cream between the sandwiches. Then cover the all the cookies with whipped cream, forming an elongated loaf shape
- Place the ‘cake’ in the freezer for for at least 24 hours and up to 1 week before serving. Once the outside is frozen (about 4 hours), you can cover with plastic wrap
- To serve, remove from the freezer and place on a tray for serving
- Slice and garnish with more whipped cream and chocolate curls, if desired
You can also line up all the cookie sandwiches in a row, forming a log. Slice on the diagonal to serve.
Ingredients - Vanilla Whipped Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preparation - Whipped Cream
- Place the heavy cream and granulated sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer
- Whip the cream until medium peaks form
- Add the vanilla and whip briefly to combine. Add more sugar if a sweeter cream is desired
Recipe and photo reprinted with the permission of Katherine Frankstone
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.