Sweet Roasted Eggplant Parm
Enjoy Nonna's twist on a southern Italian classic. Same great flavors but without the frying and the breadcrumbs. Not only has Nonna created a spectacularly delicious version of this beloved dish, she made it so much healthier! This recipe is paleo and vegetarian.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 large organic eggplant, about 2 pounds
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 jar of Nonna's Sweet Sauce
- 1 lb. fresh unsalted mozzarella, sliced
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 7-8 cloves garlic (with skin)
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Slice each eggplant into 6 pieces (12 total) about 1 1/2 inch thick. Lightly season each eggplant disk with sea salt and black pepper and place on the sheet pan. Bake the eggplant at 450-degrees until the slices begin to turn a deep brown on top, about 12-15 minutes. Remove the eggplant from the oven. Remove the eggplant slices from the baking sheet and set aside to cool.
- Lower the oven temp to 350-degrees. In another medium sized sheet pan, line with parchment paper, place the four largest eggplant sizes evenly spaced apart. Over each slice, spread about 1/4 cup of Nonna's Sweet tomato sauce. Place one slice of mozzarella over each eggplant slice and sprinkle with one teaspoon grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Place the smaller disks of eggplant over each of the disks and repeat with tomato sauce, mozzarella and grated cheese. Repeat the layering again until all of the ingredients are used up.
- Lightly smash the garlic cloves and place around the eggplant medallions. Bake uncovered until the cheese melts and the tops turn light brown, about 20-minutes. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve.
Recipe and Photo reprinted with the permission of City Saucery